Garage doors have a huge impact on the curb appeal of a home. Two materials used in the construction of garage doors are wood and steel. Many times homeowners have to make the aesthetic decision of wood vs steel. Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of wood vs steel garage doors.
Wooden Garage Doors
Wooden garage doors are doors that are made out of wood. Although not a common material for newer homes, many older homes built before the 1980s have them.
Advantages of Wooden Doors
- Wooden garage doors were once the standard material to use since they could be easily customized. Producers engrave or design the door to the preference of the homeowner.
- Wooden garage doors are easier to paint and made from almost any wood source, therefore each door could be unique.
- They provide great insulation which allowed homeowners to be flexible as to what they could transform their garage space into i.e. home gym, art studio, home office, etc.
- Wooden garage doors block out sound and therefore reduces noise pollution from passing cars, dogs, or any other outside noise
Disadvantages of Wooden Doors
- Wooden garage doors are more susceptible to decomposing from the outside elements and as such need more maintenance to keep its appeal and usage.
- They are more expensive since they are usually customized and take longer to install
- Wooden garage doors might not be strong enough to protect against hurricane-force winds
Steel Garage Doors
Steel garage doors are doors that are mass-produced and made out of steel. Most new homes in Florida are installed with metal garage doors due to their durability and code compliance.
Advantages of Steel Garage Doors
- Steel garage doors are very durable and able to withstand most outside weather.
- They require less maintenance due to its durability.
- Steel garage doors are mass-produced and therefore cheaper to install
- Steel garage doors are very common and therefore is an expected feature that most home buyers will automatically accept
Disadvantages of Steel Garage Doors
- Steel garage doors are not naturally insulated and as a result, will limit the other ways a person can use their garage space.
- They are a major cause of energy inefficiency in a home due to its lack of insulation.
- Steel garage doors tend to show imperfections such as dents and therefore become unsightly.
Whether you are in the market for a wooden or steel garage door, our trained professionals at Straight Up Garage Doors are happy to give you an estimate.