Basics of myQ Garage Door Openers
Garage door openers from LiftMaster are but one of the many remotes that can be equipped with myQ technology. The modern alternative to the traditional garage door opener and the perfect addition to any smart home.
But we’re sure if you’re considering purchasing one, you have plenty of questions, which is what we’re here to help you with!
What is a myQ Garage Door Opener and How Does It Work?
With the power of advanced two-way communication technology, you have the ultimate level of control over your home’s overhead garage door – all from the comfort of any internet-enabled smartphone, tablet, or computer.
No matter where you are, you can use the myQ app for both iOS and Android devices to not only open or close your garage door, but have access to the garage door lights, monitor your garage door activity and help you determine when it needs some maintenance, lets you check if you accidentally forgot to close your garage door, and can be connected to a number of security systems (with the additional purchase of an adaptor) including:
- XFINITY Home
- Apple Homekit
What Garage Door Openers Support myQ?
To determine if your garage door opener works with myQ technology, you first need to assess if the overhead itself is compatible. Check to see if your garage door has eyes. These are the safety sensors that help prevent things and people from getting trapped under a closing garage door through the use of infrared beams that detect if something is in the way and will reverse the garage door’s motion.
If it does, you’re good to continue to the next step. Remove the light cover on your garage door’s opener and look for the color buttons and program so you can determine if your brand’s model is compatible.
Makes and models that are compatible with myQ include:
- All LiftMaster openers with program buttons in red, orange, yellow, green, and purple.
- All Raynor openers with program buttons in red, orange, yellow, green, and purple.
- All Craftsman openers with program buttons in red, orange, yellow, green, and purple.
- All Chamberlain openers with program buttons in red, orange, yellow, green, and purple.
- All Genie openers manufactured after 1996.
- All Overhead Door openers manufactured after 1996.
- All Stanley openers that have a program button on the motor portion of the operator.
- Most Wayne Dalton openers, including iDrive, ProDrive, Quantum, DoorMaster, Classic Drive, and other models that have been manufactured after 1993.
- All Linear openers.
Any of the above mentioned brands will work when you’re trying to set it up, and it’s very simple. All you have to do is download the myQ app and follow the instructions provided in it.
How Does It Work?
Once you’ve set up your myQ garage door opener with any of the compatible models and connected it to your home’s wifi, controlling your garage door is easy. The command is sent from your smartphone into a hub that uses the signal to activate a sensor that’s in your garage door’s opener that can do things such as control the lights or trigger the door.
We hope we’ve answered your most pressing questions, but if you have more, feel free to contact our skilled technicians at Straight Up Garage Doors to get the answers you need.